These Orange, Almond & Chia Muffins have the added nutrition of chia seeds, which are a complete protein and include all 9 essential amino acids, as well as adding a texture similar to an Orange and Poppy Seed Cake.
This recipe can be made Vegan by using a non-dairy substitute for the milk and yoghurt, and coconut oil instead of butter.
- 1 packet of Anna’s Low Carb Vanilla Cupcake Mix
- 1 tspn baking powder
- 120g chopped or slivered almonds
- 1 large orange (zest and juice)
- Juice from one large orange (approx 50ml)
- 60g melted butter / coconut oil
- 200g plain or coconut yoghurt
- 1/3 cup (50g) chia seeds
- 1 cup milk of choice
- Preheat oven to 170 deg.
- Combine chia seeds, yoghurt, orange juice, orange rind & milk in a bowl and let sit for 30 minutes whilst you prepare the rest.
- In a separate bowl combine cupcake mix & almonds.
- Prepare muffin tin with 12 large patty cases/muffin wrappers. Liberally spray with oil to prevent sticking.
- Add melted butter or coconut oil to the yoghurt chia mix and then pour these wet ingredients into dry ingredients and fold gently until just combined.
- Portion into 12 patty cases.
- Baking for 30 minutes.
Yoghurt Glaze (Optional)
- 2 heaped tablespoon of plain or coconut yoghurt and 2 heaped tablespoon of Anna’s Low Carb Icing Mix – stir until combined.
- Once Muffins are cooled drizzle yoghurt glaze over the top and decorate with Almonds or Orange Zest!
For more great low carb, sugar-free, gluten-free recipes, visit annaslowcarbkitchen.com.au/recipes